Friday, December 17, 2010

Next two pages

So here we have the next two pages. There's not really much else to add other than I feel like I'm getting a better sense of pacing the further I get into this issue. Originally I was considering adhering to a panel standard for each page to help with this, much like Watchmen (which was designed and paced to fit 9 panels per page, only breaking this pattern by combining panels for effect) but decided it wasn't such a good idea since the three/four settings this issue will take place in move at considerably different speeds: the slow telling of the story in the kitchen, the faster paced jobs and the steady, intimidating scene in Bronson's office. However, the next project I get working on, the super serum story, will be the most 'Alan Moore'-ish preparation I go through: aside from outlining the story, of course, I'm going to write detailed background summaries for each character first, just to inform my writing of them, as well as attempt to settle on a pacing guide like mentioned above. More on that when it comes around; in the meantime, the next two pages:

PAGE SEVEN (four panels)

Panel 1. I would suggest a shot of GUY here, his expression indicating that he feels a little bit out of his league.

BRONSON: (OP)
I know you ain’t never done any work for me. It ain’t easy to get in with me. There ain’t no trust in this business and it’s hard to keep friends. I myself only one, and Curtis here is it.

Panel 2. Back on BRONSON, continuing:

BRONSON: Doing good by the one friend I been able to keep in this business is a good way to earn my trust. That’s why I’m gonna invite you in on a score I got coming up.

Panel 3. Here we have a focus on BRONSON’s hands as he speaks, still holding his cigar between his index and middle finger, out in front of him as if he’s holding a man by the neck, slowly choking the life from him.

BRONSON:
You do right by me on this job, your name will be added to the short list of guys I can trust. You fuck me over, you’ll find out real painfully why I got the reputation in this town I do.

Panel 4. Bronson’s eyes, Leone style, stoic and fear-inducing.

BRONSON:
We clear?


PAGE EIGHT (five panels)

Panel 1. Back on GUY, obviously intimidated by the situation, recognizing he’s in a bit over his head, but doing his best not to show it.

GUY:
So you want my help on a job?

Panel 2. CRATER, sitting up in his chair, a bit more involved, hands and shoulders up, focusing on the “who knows” aspect of his dialogue:

CRATER:
I’m getting too old to be running around doing these jobs anymore, kid. I told Chuck about how things went on our last job and suggested you take my place on the next one. If it goes well, who knows, maybe there’ll be a regular place for you in the organization.

Panel 3. Back to BRONSON.

BRONSON:
I ain’t gonna sit here and hold your hand through this, kid. You wanna sit here, maw wide open like you got a dick in your mouth, that ain’t none of my business, but I got better things to do than wait around for an answer. I’m extending a courtesy to my dear friend Curtis here—

Panel 4. GUY, realizing he’s about to miss out on an opportunity urgently jumping in.

GUY:
I’m in. I meant no disrespect, Mr. Bronson, sir. Just flattered for the offer, seemed a little too good to be true.

Panel 4. Back to BRONSON, motioning toward the door.

BRONSON:
Good. You’ll get details on the job in the morning.

Panel 5. GUY, getting up from his chair, stopped halfway through the motion, still crouched a bit, head turned back toward BRONSON.

BRONSON: (OP)
And remember what I said about my reputation.

Stay Tuned,

Aaron J.


No comments:

Post a Comment